Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Homemade Pita Chips

In an effort to stick to my New Years' resolution of eating better, I thought it would be a good idea to replace one of my favorite indulgences with a healthier option. I absolutely adore potato chips and their everlasting crunchy flavor. The idea of eating potato chips with a sandwich is ultimately classic and reminds me of being back in elementary school at the lunch table; not to mention potato chips can also be incredibly tasty. For a healthier spin in 2011, I decided to supplement my usual bag with some homemade pita chips. Once I tried this, I cannot fathom going back to my basic bag of potatoes. 

These pita chips are packed with flavor since I used herbs and sea salt. The fun part is the ability to mix and match to create your own personal pita cocktail. I used basil with some sesame seeds added for texture. A pinch of sea salt gave the right amount of bite to my chips. My favorite part, these chips are so easy to make, cook fairly quick and keep for a good three to four days. I can promise you, these crunchy treats will most likely be gone in a day. They are that addicting and the possibilities are endless.

Baked Pita Chips

1 package of white or whole wheat pita bread
a variety of dried or fresh herbs, nuts, etc. (Here is where you can get creative!)
a pinch of sea salt
oil oil

Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees. Stack pita breads two at a time and slice into triangles. Spread pita pieces onto baking sheet and give them a a quick drizzle of olive oil. Next, take herb mix (I used basil and sesame seed) and drizzle onto pita chips. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Once golden brown, remove from oven and add a pinch of sea salt to chips. Let cool and serve. Enjoy.

Pita bread cut into triangles
Basil sesame mix
Finished pita chips, healthy and ohhhh so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment